Term 1
Term 2
Term 3
Forum
Assessment
Shop

Little story

quarry bank mill

1783-84

Samuel Greg built a mill near a fast flowing stream. 

1800

Samuel Greg installed a steam engine to run the spinning machines when power was low. 

1830

By 1822, cotton was selling so well that Samuel Greg built new sheds for packing and sorting. He also built a new warehouse for all the raw cotton that was arriving. 

1836

Robert Greg adapted the mill buildings to house looms for weaving. The mill was now used for spinning and weaving.

Introduction of steam power. Bolton and Watt 20hp beam engine.

1842

A new scutching building was built. Here the cotton waste was sucked out of the machinery through flues. Iron was used for the equipment and a new iron balcony was made as a precaution against fire.